The Benefits of A Free Home Energy Audit
Many homeowners are interested in living eco-friendlier lifestyle, but they aren’t sure where to start. If you want to reduce your carbon footprint, the first step is conducting a free home energy audit.
What is Involved in A Home Energy Audit?
- Identifying air leaks
- Checking insulation
- Inspecting the heating and cooling system
- Examining lighting choices
- Determining efficiency of appliances
After completing the audit, you will be one step closer to living a green life at home.
How to Conduct A Free Home Energy Audit
A professional home energy audit can cost between $208 and $643. But fortunately, there’s no need to spend hundreds of dollars on a professional audit when there are home energy audit tools available for free.
Benefyd is a free home energy audit app that is available for both iOS and Android devices. If you’re interested in conducting an energy assessment of your home, download this app from the Apple App Store or Google Play. Follow these steps to conduct a free audit using this tool:
- Answer Energy Efficiency Questions
- View Custom Recommendations
- Search For Rebates
Answer Energy Efficiency Questions
Begin your audit using the Benefyd app. The app will guide you through each step in the audit process—all you have to do is answer questions that appear on your screen.
For example, the app may ask whether or not you have a programmable thermostat installed in your home. Then, the app may ask you to enter the heating and cooling settings on your thermostat.
You will need to answer other questions related to your appliances, windows, doors, insulation, and lighting. The audit is complete after all of the questions have been answered. The Benefyd home energy audit only takes about five minutes from start to finish.
View Custom Recommendations
The Benefyd app produces a custom energy assessment report based on the information you provided in the audit. The app will recommend home improvement projects that will help you reduce your energy usage and save money. For example, if you answered “no” to the programmable thermostat question, the app may recommend installing a thermostat.
Next to each recommendation, the app will tell you how much money you could potentially save by making the improvement. Use this information to decide which improvements you should tackle first.
Search For Rebates
The Benefyd app will also analyze the information you provided to search for rebates that you could qualify for in your area. For instance, if you have a natural gas clothes dryer, the app may list local utility providers that offer rebates to homeowners who have this energy efficient appliance. Taking advantage of the rebates listed on your custom report could save you hundreds of dollars.
Performing an energy audit may seem daunting, but using Benefyd will provide you with the information you need in a matter of minutes.
What Are the Benefits of A Free Home Energy Audit?
A free home energy audit offers a number of benefits, including:
- Reduce energy usage. Homeowners can find out what they need to do to conserve energy, which will reduce their carbon footprint and help the environment.
- Lower monthly utility bills. Energy audits will tell you what steps you need to take to reduce your energy consumption, which will lower your monthly utility bills.
- Increase the value of your home. Research shows that energy efficient homes have higher resale values than other homes.
- Make your life at home more comfortable. An audit will help you identify and fix issues that could inconvenience you or make you uncomfortable at home, such as drafts or inefficient appliances.
- Extend the lifespan of appliances. Following the recommendations can help you maintain your appliances so they last longer.
- Identify potential issues. The app may identify potential issues in your home so you can address them before they turn into bigger, more expensive problems.
It won’t cost you a dime to conduct an energy audit, so you can reap the rewards of an energy assessment for free.
A Home Energy Audit is the Key to Going Green
If you want to go green, conducting a DIY home energy audit is the perfect place to start. Take a few minutes to conduct a home energy audit today so you can start improving the energy efficiency of your home and saving money on monthly utility bills!