What Are the Benefits of Using Energy Wisely?
While people all over the globe are following “Shelter at home” mandates from their local and federal governments, energy efficiency becomes an even more important consideration. Instead of leaving the home for work, individuals who may be struggling financially due to lay-offs or work cancellations now also have to deal with larger utility bills. Using energy wisely isn’t only beneficial as a way to improve our environment, but it’s crucial to reduce expenditures and lower a family’s financial burden. In fact, many people are not even aware of the benefits of using energy wisely at home.
Here’s what you need to know to understand how you can benefit from going green:
Why Is It Important to Use Energy Efficiently?
Saving energy is beneficial for a number of reasons, including:
- Lower Utility Bills
- Cleaner Air
- Make Your Home More Comfortable
- Reduces Dependence on Finite Resources
Lower Utility Bills
Utility providers charge consumers based on the amount of energy they use. By saving energy, consumers can drastically lower their monthly utility bills. Even small changes can lead to big savings down the road.
Air pollution is a major global problem—in fact, it is considered one of the biggest environmental risks to human health. Researchers believe that about one in nine deaths is linked in some way to poor air quality caused by air pollution.
Fortunately, using energy more wisely can reduce air pollution and result in cleaner air. How? The power plants that supply energy release harmful greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. Using less energy will reduce the demand for energy, which means power plants won’t need to generate as much. The less energy these power plants generate, the fewer greenhouse gases they will release into the air.
Make Your Home More Comfortable
Improving your energy efficiency can also make your home more comfortable. For example, one way to improve your home’s energy efficiency is to add insulation. Not only will this help you save energy, but it will also keep you warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. By going green, you can stay comfortable inside your home all year long!
Reduces Dependence on Finite Resources
Many of the resources that consumers rely on for electricity are finite, which means one day the supply will be depleted. By using energy more wisely, you can reduce your dependence on these finite resources.
For example, installing solar panels will allow you to power your home without relying on the electricity provided by the local utility company. Not only will this improve your home’s energy efficiency, but it will also reduce your dependence on finite resources such as coal. Solar energy is not a finite resource, so making this switch ensures that you will never have to worry about depleting the planet’s supply of a limited resource.
How Can We Use Energy Efficiently?
As you can see, there are many reasons to jump on the “going green” bandwagon. Luckily, learning to use energy more wisely is much easier than you may think. If you’re ready to go green at home, follow these tips:
- Install a programmable thermostat so you can preset temperatures for different times of the day. Adjust the settings so you are not wasting energy on cooling or heating a home that is empty during the hours you aren’t home.
- Lower the temperature on your water heater to 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Replace the light bulbs in the five most frequently used light fixtures in your home with energy efficient LED bulbs.
- Plug your devices into a power strip and turn the entire strip off when the devices are not in use. This prevents the devices from continuing to consume energy even when they are turned off.
- Replace the air filters once every three months so your heating and cooling system does not need to work harder to distribute air through dirty, clogged filters.
- Hang your clothes up to dry instead of putting them in the dryer.
- Keep the seal on the refrigerator door clean. This seal is not as effective when it’s dirty, so it could let cool air escape from your refrigerator.
- Wash your clothes in cold water and don’t hit the start button until you are ready to clean a full load.
You don’t need to make major changes in order to use energy more wisely at home. Simply follow these suggestions to start enjoying the many benefits of being more energy efficient.
Reap the Rewards of Living An Energy Efficient Lifestyle
Saving energy is beneficial for many different reasons. Some people choose to go green in order to save money on utility bills and make their home more comfortable, whereas others do it to protect the planet. Regardless of your motivation, using energy more wisely at home is one decision you will never regret!